Friday 28 October 2011

3 Happy Singaporeans

Doctor went beyond call of duty

ON OCT 12, my wife told me she had vomited and was feeling giddy. She was in a cold sweat and her hands were clammy.

I quickly drove her to our family doctor in Yishun Ring Road. At the clinic carpark, my wife had difficulty getting out of the car. When I tried to help her, both of us almost fell - we are in our 70s.

I was helpless and traumatised; never had I seen my wife in such a condition.

I ran to the clinic and told Dr Lam Wai Khin what had happened. He followed me to my car, examined my wife and told me that it could be a stroke and to drive her to the nearby Khoo Teck Puat Hospital immediately.

I was in a state of shock and trying to figure out the shortest route to the hospital. Sensing my unstable state of mind, Dr Lam offered to drive us to the hospital using my car.

At the hospital emergency area, he helped to put my wife onto a wheelchair, before proceeding to park the car.

Later, he handed me a note indicating where my car was parked, in case I had problems locating it.

What transpired clearly shows a spontaneous act of kindness, empathy and compassion.

Thank you once again, Dr Lam, for having gone more than the extra mile.

My wife had a minor stroke and has since been discharged from hospital. She is now recuperating at home.

Eddy Toh
Straits Times Forum, 28 Oct 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment